Super Bowl LII
Philadelphia Eagles 41 – New England Patriots 33
The Philadelphia Eagles are your 2018 Super Bowl Champions! No, you do not need to get your eyes checked! Yes, you read that first sentence correctly! In one short year this team unexpectedly gave a city and an entire fanbase hope! The Eagles defeated the New England Patriots 41-33 to win Super Bowl LII for their first Super Bowl title in franchise history. This Eagles team followed the path of a true underdog and defied the odds. Especially since they defeated the 5-time Super Bowl Champion duo of Patriots Head Coach Bill Belichik and Quarterback Tom Brady. In lieu of this great accomplishment I’d like to give an extended toast to this team and many individuals on it. Now let us raise a glass…if you want you can respond with “Philly, Philly” after every toast, it’s more fun that way!
Owner Jeffrey Lurie
- Let me start with the man who made this all possible by purchasing this team in 1994. It may have taken you 24 years but you finally brought home a championship! This city is rough and there were many times you could have given up with such disasters as never winning with Andy, or the Chip Kelly fiasco, but you hung in there! You continued to take new approaches towards a championship, even when said approaches weren’t popular with the fans! You used emotional intelligence when hiring Head Coach Doug Pederson and in doing so you opened your heart to a Lombardi Trophy!
General Manager Howie Roseman
- After being cast aside, like a leper, you arose from the ashes of Chip Kelly’s dumpster-fire tenure as GM. In your “year off” you traveled the world to learn from many different owners and general managers to make yourself better in the future. Your time picking the minds of many other greats surely paid off! You were able to grow, mature, learn, and manage more efficiently. Dating back to your courageous wheelings and dealings to move up from 13 to 2 in the 2016 NFL draft, you have assembled one of the most complete football teams in just 2 short years. You sir, are now the General Manger of the Super Bowl winning Philadelphia Eagles only 2 years after your removal!
Head Coach Doug Pederson
- You have proven many wrong, including myself and I will gladly admit it. From executives across the league to fans such as myself, many of us thought you would not be able to win a Super Bowl, yet even make it to the playoffs! Instead your emotional intelligence, aggressive play calling, and next man up mentality propelled you to a Super Bowl title in only your 2nd year as a head coach. Much congratulations are in order to you!
Quarter Back Nick Foles
- Just like Doug Pederson, you have proven many wrong, again including myself. From winning the division and Pro Bowl MVP with us in 2013 to being traded to the Rams about a year later. From contemplating retirement after being cut on television by the Rams to leading the Eagles to a playoff berth after filling in Carson Wentz’s big shoes. Finally from struggling and being doubted after the regular season to leading this team to a championship and MVP in Super Bowl LII. You finished 3-0 throwing for 971 yard while completing 77-106 (72.6%) passes for 6 TD’s, 1 INT and 1 TD RECEPTION! What can’t you do? You have handled adversity like a champion, because you are one! No matter what happens from here on out you are a Philadelphia legend and champion forever!
Wide Receiver Alshon Jeffery
- Even before hitting Free Agency last March, you guaranteed a Super Bowl Championship. You got it sir by playing on a 1-year “prove yourself” deal with the Eagles over other more lucrative offers. You were rewarded with a contract before seasons end as it was rightfully deserved, but the chance you took on us will never be forgotten. In the NFC Title Game and Super Bowl you caught a combined 8 catches for 185 yards and 3 TD’s validating your #1 Wide Receiver status.
Wide Receiver Nelson Agholor
- This year you were the biggest skill position play-maker for the Eagles after the previous two tumultuous seasons. From seeing a sports psychologist last year to a playing in and winning a Super Bowl!
Running Back Corey Clement
- From going undrafted in the past NFL draft to making the team with the odds against you. Then hauling in 4 receptions for 100 yards and a touchdown in the Super Bowl. Mind blown, your future is very bright!
The Whole Offensive Line
- Right Tackle Lane Johnson – From being suspended for 10 games in 2016 to being the best Right Tackle in 2017.
- Right Guard Brandon Brooks – Game in and game out you have been one of the best Guards in the NFL.
- Center Jason Kelce – Even after the criticism you are now the best Center in the league
- Left Guard Stefen Wisniewski – You lost the battle for starting Left Guard to start the season. Then you finished as one of the leagues best and most underrated.
- Left Tackle Halapoulivaati Vaitai – Big V! You stepped in for a Future Hall of Famer in Jason Peters. You may have struggled at first but boy did you finish on top!
Defensive End Brandon Graham
- You held the burden of being picked over Safety Earl Thomas for years and let us know about it! Well, you backed it up in a huge way by you stripping the ball from the G.O.A.T., Tom Brady! You made the biggest play of the Super Bowl and no one can take that away from you ever!
Safety Malcolm Jenkins
- You were the leader and voice of a defense that so desperately needed one! Time and time again you continue to make the key tackle or lead a teammate towards making a key play! Without you this defense is not as ferocious as they are!
Quarter Back Carson Wentz
- Ah, last but not least, Carson Wentz! Since day one, but especially in year two, you put this entire team on your back! You’ve lead these men on and off the field to success at such a young age! From playing MVP calibre football for the first 13 and 3/4 of a week, to it all ending in one play you have never given up! I could never understand the pain you have gone through not being out there to support your team on the field but from the positivity and how you have been there for these guys every step of the way is unparalled! You truly are a champion and you will get many chances in the future to lead us to victory again!
And with that, I say…Philly, Philly!
- P.S. – Thank you Nick Foles and Doug Pederson for the “Philly Special”, one of the best play calls in history!